If you are anything like me – busy! .. with the hustle bustle of everyday, it is nice to come home to a hearty home cooked soup. It is even better when you don’t have to spend your whole pay that day to create it. Time management, cost effective and efficiency are the key when it comes to meal prep.
Ingredients you will need:
1 Can of Chickpeas
1 Can of Lentils
1 Cup of chopped tomato
1 Red Onion (medium size)
1 Box of Chicken/Vegetable Broth
1 tbsp Coconut/Olive Oil
2 tbsp of Cumin seeds/spice
1 Large Pinch of Chilli Flakes
1 Tsp Turmeric
1 Pinch Salt (to taste)
1 Pinch Pepper (to taste)
- Add on large pinch of red chilli flakes to a saucepan on medium heat. Cook lightly until you see flakes jumping in pan. Approximately 1-2 mins. This will release the flavour.
- Add 1tbsp oil of your choice to saucepan and let heat. Add in chopped red onion and saute for approximately 5 mins or until golden.
- Add in 2 tbsp of cumin spice and mix. Cooking for 1 minute.
- Add in 1 can of lentils, 1 cup chopped tomato, 1 box of chicken broth, 1 tsp turmeric, salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover saucepan and bring to a boil. Allow to simmer for approximately 15-20 mins or until lentil are softened.
- Take your magic bullet and pour soup into the cup. Press down and let go on cup immediately – repeat 5 times. This will mix all the ingredients together into a puree form but still leave pieces with some texture.
- Pour puree into saucepan and add in can of drained chickpeas. Cook until chickpeas are heated. Approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Use yogurt and coriander leaves to serve if preferred.
Enjoy! Let me know your opinions or your own creative ways to make this hearty soup for the soul =)